This article goes over the differences between a visit and a session.
- A session is a metric that is found on Google Analytics.
- A session is a group of website interactions within a given timeframe
- A session ends when a user has 30 minutes of inactivity or ends at midnight
- It can also end if a user arrives at one campaign, leaves, and enters the website from a different campaign
- A visit is a metric found on the Orbee Platform.
- A visit is a group of website interactions that starts when a user enters the website and ends when the user leaves the website
- If a visitor enters the website, leaves, and enters again, it will count as a separate visit (two total)
- A visit does not have an expiration time and also includes inactivity.
- If a visitor enters the website and is inactive, but comes back, it will still be considered as one visit.
- Multiple tabs count as multiple visits
- We have backoff pinging every 10 seconds to the user to check for inactivity
- The frequency will increase to up to every 5 minutes until the user becomes active again, of which it will return to checking for inactivity for every ten seconds. For example, if a user is inactive for 20 minutes, we will check their inactivity not as often as every 10 seconds due to the bandwidth
A session is based on inactivity for 30 minutes or if a user enters from a different campaign, but a visit is determined every time a user enters the website.
If a user enters your website, is active for 30 minutes, inactive for 32 minutes, active for 2 minutes, Google Analytics considers that as 2 sessions. Orbee will consider this as 1 visit.
If a user enters your website from a direct/none (source/medium) for 5 minutes, leaves for 2 minutes, and comes back in 5 minutes, Google Analytics will consider this as 1 session. Orbee will consider this as 2 visits.
You will need to understand that there will always be a discrepancy between these two metrics from Google Analytics and the Orbee Platform because of the different ways that Google and Orbee track the users' activity.
Last Updated: June 12, 2020 10:06 AM